Amalgam fillings. “I don’t want you to freak out now,” says my better half, while having dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant. But of course I’m freaking out because of two reasons.
- My worst nightmare just came true. I’m going to be completely tooth less before I reach the age of 40. Imagine that smile. What’s there not to freak out about?
- My health is at great danger. Mercury vapor from my amalgam fillings is probably working its way down to my digestive system right now, where it’s wiping out all beneficial gut bacteria and doing other nasty things.
5 min earlier. While chewing on a soft lettuce wrap I bite on something very hard. First of course I suspect the chef of breaking some cutlery pieces into my dish. I already speculate that we are going to get a generous discount on the dinner bill. But after I have located the piece in question and separated it with great dexterous skills of my tongue I hold a part of my precious baby tooth in my hand!
I’m 38 years old and I have a baby tooth with an amalgam fillings.
Yes, you heard right. I still have a baby tooth and I’m pretty proud of it. In the process of combining my mothers DNA with my fathers DNA the information of how to produce a complete set of adult teeth must have gone missing. I’m short one incisor on the upper level and missing 4-5 molars (including the some wisdom teeth). In the process of turning my smile into a representable one the opposite existing incisor was extracted. This is why I was blessed with dental braces pretty much for all my adolescent life. This didn’t prevent me from finding a boyfriend but absolutely ruined my Heidi Klum model career. However, I’m 38 years old now and still have a molar baby tooth.
If you believe in statistics then this guy has widely overreached its life expectation. According to my German dentist it was supposed to celebrate its retirement with my graduation from high school. But it seemed quite pleased and happy where it was until now. It had a good run. However, time didn’t pass without leaving its marks. In it’s early teens my baby tooth got a silvery amalgam filling. Amalgam fillings contain mercury. For sure you have heard about the controversy and the health risks mercury poses for your brain and nervous system. In some European countries mercury is banned for the use in dental fillings. But apparently it is safe as long as it doesn’t show any cracks.
Amalgam fillings contain mercury, which is toxic.
Understand now why I’m freaking out? Because now the filling is cracked. And thanks to smartphones I instantly can Google the 100+ symptoms that directly or indirectly result from mercury poisoning. And of course I already suffer from some of them:
- Loss of appetite
- Rapid heartbeat
- Lack of concentration
- Stuffy nose
Okay, okay! I know. Everyone would lose their appetite, have trouble thinking straight and build up some sweat when you’ve learned that a nuclear bomb just exploded in your mouth. So there is a slight possibility that my nervous system is overreacting a little bit right now.
Mercury poisoning is real.
Mercury is one of the most toxic elements. The World Health Organization stated that absolute zero amount of mercury is safe. You don’t have any amalgam fillings? Unfortunately that’s not an all clear for you. Mercury is also involved in the manufacturing process of products such as thermometers, automotive light switches, fabric softeners, batteries, cosmetic and plastics. When these products release their mercury -especially when they have reached the end of their life span at the dump – mercury can enter our waterways. From there it works its way up the food chain and ends up in delicious fish you might eat like tuna, swordfish and shark. It also seeps into our food supply after grains and seeds have been treated with methyl mercury chlorine bleaches. Pregnant woman should especially be concerned about mercury levels in fish as this toxic element can cross the placenta and put the development of the fetus in great danger.
Actually just today (June 27th/ 2014) this mercury warning was issued for Applegate lake in Oregon.
Mercury and some affects on the body and health
So yes, I’m concerned about mercury and my health and you should be too. Mercury has devastating affects on all body systems. Here are some scenarios how mercury vapor from amalgam fillings or mercury from foods we eat can affect our body and health:
- Beneficial gut bacteria – a crucial part of the immune system
When mercury is swallowed in saliva it reacts with hydrochloric acid (HCl) – the stomach acid. This concoction then forms mercuric chloride, which kills off the beneficial bacteria in the intestines. This opens the door for yeast and harmful bacteria, which then are free to have a party.
– They will produce toxins that cause other symptoms like skin problems, sinus problems, itchy and watery eyes, PMS and food or chemical sensitivities
– The toxins will affect other organs like your liver.
– They will convince you that you need to eat starch and sugar because that is what they eat. Cravings anyone?
- Stomach and digestion
When mercury combines with the HCl in the stomach, there will be less stomach acid available for digestion. An underactive stomach results in heartburn, bloating, indigestion and other digestive problems. It also affects the proper function of the colon and contributes to poor absorption of vitamins and minerals.
Mercury crowds iodine out of cells. With a lack of iodine the thyroid can’t work properly. That will slow metabolism down and losing weight becomes very difficult. We feel mental dullness and muscle weakness or have cold hands and feet a lot of the times. Thyroid hormone is also needed for HCl production and the cycle goes on. If we lack the thyroid hormone, our digestion will be compromised and we are unable e.g. to convert beta-carotene into vitamin A. Double digestion bummer (see #2).
What to do?
What can I say? According to my Canadian dentist, whom I visited the next day, I should not be concerned about mercury vapor leakage from my cracked baby tooth. Holistic dentists say that mercury vapor leaking is a threat, cracked or not cracked amalgam fillings. Again we are left with our own observations and gut feelings. In my case I can say that I have noticed an increase tonsil activity since the tooth chipped. In the beginning my tonsils were swollen, there was more mucous forming and I discovered these smelly white tonsil stones. You can see tonsil stones when you open your mouth very wide and say “Ahhhhh” (in case you still have tonsils though). They are white tiny balls that stink terribly when they crack open. Tonsils play an important part in the immune system and they act like a trap for things that pass through the throat and are not meant to pass. I would say, mercury falls under that category. But is that the real cause? What do I know. There is only one way to find out.
I’ve decided that it’s time for the retirement of both, my baby tooth and the amalgam fillings. I’m sure it would do its duty for another 10 years but why fool around with toxic mercury? I’m the only one responsible for my health. It’s for me to decide. The appointment for its removal is set, which opens another can of worms. It’s replacement with an implant. Stay tuned for my experience.
More to come:
- Why it is difficult to lose weight with an underactive thyroid
- Foods you can eat to neutralize the effects of mercury
- The joys of a dental implant procedure