Tinned tomato sauce or tinned tomatoes are an indispensable food item. Not just when you’re in collage or university. It literally transfers any available produce immediately into an authentic looking Italian dish. A fresh spring of basil and some parmesan cheese on top e pronto! Verdura alla pizzaiola. Buon appetitio!
There is a fine distinction between tinned tomatoes and tomatoes from a glass jar.
The resin lining of tinned tomatoes contain B.P.A. (bisphenol-A). B.P.A. is a chemical that has been used to make certain plastics, such as water bottles or plastic food containers. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that BPA is safe at low levels. However it has been banned in baby utilities like drinking bottles, sippy cups, teething rings, toys or the packaging of baby formula.
The American Medical Association says that BPA is an “endocrine disrupting agent.” Your endocrine system is the system in your body that is controlled by hormones. No eye rolling here young man. A man’s life is ruled by hormones too. BPA e.g. can suppress a man’s sperm production.
The chemical BPA messes with your hormones.
But it doesn’t matter. Men, women or kids, you don’t want anything messing around with your hormones. Hormones maintain your blood sugar levels. They affect your metabolism and growth. The hormone adrenaline prepares your body for action.
Other things impact your hormone levels as well, but if you can eliminate one potential dangerous chemical like BPA simply with avoiding canned tomatoes it is a great start to becoming healthier and happier. If hormones are out of whack you might struggle with the following:
7 signs that your hormones are out of whack
- Low energy, tiredness or sluggishness
- Your sleep isn’t restful, maybe you have night sweats
- You have mood swings and get angry very easily
- Loss of sexual desire
- You gain weight or lose weight without trying
- Your muscles and joints are tense, you feel stiff
- You are constipated or have frequent bowel movements, maybe diarrhea
The connection: BPA, tinned tomatoes and your health
Now you are asking, why are we talking about tinned tomatoes? The connection is the following. Tomatoes are very acidic. And the acidity of the tomatoes causes the BPA to leach into your food. According to Fredrick vom Saal, an endocrinologist at the University of Missouri, “You can get 50mcg of BCA per liter out of a tomato can, and that’s a level that is going to impact people, particularly the young…. I won’t go near canned tomatoes.”
So here is the quick tip in regards to healthy cooking and eating:
- Avoid tinned tomatoes. Choose tomatoes and tomato sauces in glass bottles. Our Italian deli has a wide selection and I bet if you just start looking for glass jars filled with delicious tomato sauce, it’s going to be a hard decision, which one to choose.
Find here a Harvard study about BPA and canned soups form Nov./2011
More to come:
- Find out what’s wrong with microwaved popcorn, corn-fed beef, farmed salmon, GMO unfermented soy or milk produced with artificial hormones